Serving Refugees Here and There
I want to share a bit about some of the experiences that have brought me to this point as a pastor and missions volunteer.
- As a young child of 6-years, I felt God calling me to missionary service. I have been on several short-term mission trips, up to 2 months in length, to 4 countries (China, Hong Kong, Macau and Romania).
- About 3 years ago, God began drawing my heart towards building relationships with Muslim people. I began volunteering with World Relief Seattle as an ESL teaching assistant and as a "Cultural Companion" to a Kurdish family from Iraq. I've spoken about local Muslim-outreach opportunities at a "Crescent Project" seminar. I have also been blessed to lead both the Washington Pacific and Northwest districts of the Church of the Nazarene in the area of Immigrant & Refugee Ministries through Nazarene Compassionate Alliance Northwest.
- I have been developing ministry and cross-cultural experience as a pastor of a multi-cultural church in Seattle, WA. I am over half way through the courses needed for ordination in the Church of the Nazarene. I plan to continue with these courses while living in Serbia, with a goal of being ordained as soon as April 2019.
- I can see how God is piecing together a beautiful puzzle in these life experiences. I am so excited to see what He plans to do through His workers among the refugees in Serbia! When we place our lives in God's capable hands, He is sure to produce something wonderful.
On September 28, 2017, I am scheduled to travel to Ohio for Cross Cultural Orientation training with the Church of the Nazarene's Global Missions leaders. Upon completion of this important training and approval by the Nazarene leaders, I plan to travel as soon as possible to Belgrade, Serbia, where I will join a team of volunteers working among the refugee communities there.
I plan to stay in Serbia for 1 month initially. This will be a time to explore what is needed in terms of ministry, outreach, education and humanitarian aid. I will gather stories, experiences and photos, and then return to Seattle for a time of sharing, educating, fundraising and support-building. I plan to then return to Serbia for an initial commitment of 1 year, with the possibility of longer service if God leads in that direction.
- CCO Training: $600
- (Needed immediately. Designation: airfare, food, ground transportation)
- 1-Month Discovery Trip: $2,300
- (Needed by early October. Designation: airfare, food, ground transportation, insurance, rent & utilities, internet, phone, personal expenses)
- 1-Year Mission Service: $10,500
- ($4,980 is needed by mid-January. The remaining amount can be paid at a later date. Designation: Same as 1-Month Trip described above.)
- Total Needed: $13,400
This is a group effort! Caring for such great needs as there are in Serbia, requires an army of prayer warriors to support the ministry efforts. It also requires a lot of generous financial giving. I would ask you to prayerfully consider how God would lead you in giving to this ministry. Whether a one-time gift or an ongoing monthly support, I thank you for joining with me in serving people in great need in the name of Jesus!
Join Sarah in prayer:
- For the refugees in Serbia to come come to know Jesus and to experience compassion and healing
- For effective ministry and clear leading from the Holy Spirit
- For the team of volunteers in Serbia, working together with the shared goals and unified purpose
There are many ways you can give:
- You can give directly though this YouCaring page.
- For tax-deductible giving, please contact Living Hope Church of the Nazarene or give here through Nazarene Compassionate Alliance Northwest**
- You can purchase amazing tea and help refugees at the same time! Visit Little Prayer Tea Company to find out how you can help support Sarah's ministry by purchasing selected teas.
- You can donate Delta or Southwest Frequent Flyer Miles. (Contact Sarah directly for more info.)
**When checking out with PayPal please write "Designate to Sarah Emerson" in "Special instructions to Seller" so that we can make sure your donations are properly designated. Thank you!